Main menu

Pages

The Washington Post: The commander of US forces in Afghanistan is stepping down today


The first US military commander in Afghanistan will step down on Monday, the Washington Post reported, signaling a symbolic end to 20 years of US military involvement there, as a resurgent Taliban threatens to topple the central government.


 The newspaper pointed out that General Austin "Scott" Miller, who oversaw the war effort for nearly three years, will hand over his responsibility at a ceremony at the US Army headquarters.


 US President Joe Biden said last week that the military withdrawal would be completed on August 31, but Miller's departure, among the last remaining measures, has left nearly all troops, contractors and equipment, defense officials said, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.


 Miller will leave Afghanistan as the longest-serving high-ranking military officer. Miller, the former commander of the elite Delta Force, oversaw a tumultuous period that included the Trump administration's deal last year with the Taliban that paved the way for withdrawal, and Biden's final call in April to withdraw all troops.


 General Kenneth Frank McKenzie, head of the US Joint Command, arrived in Kabul Monday morning to take command of the remaining forces, and is expected to oversee a limited operation from his headquarters in Tampa with two members of the Seal Marine Division, Ray Adam and Peter Vasley, to command 650 client troops. They have the task of protecting the US Embassy.


McKenzie told reporters accompanying him that he believed the Taliban were seeking a military victory over the Afghan government, citing their recent victories in multiple parts of the country and the threat they posed to the capitals of a number of provinces, but he expected the militants would face great resistance in Kabul, noting that the city is larger and more complex. Its defenses are better now than it was when the Taliban ruled it in the 1990s.

reactions

Comments